Friday, June 29, 2012

A Moment of Meta-Decision

The people who are most successful tell other people, who are generally less successful, (Quote from Eliza Gauger via Warren Ellis, but Stephen K. Hayes said a similar thing once, to a friend of mine) "You either work 9-5 or 24/7."

And it's true. I have a few things I'd happily do 24/7, things that I think about doing 24/7. Things that give me a bigger endorphin rush than others.

But I don't know how you'd monetize dating, at my age.

I dreamed in blue and orange last night, about defending a house from invaders by hiding on the roof and throwing racquet ball racquets at them. Then, being in a quickly filling subterranean mall, and having a contact bashed out by a gigantic spider. Fortunately, I found a box of contacts floating in the water (tropical ocean, clean blue) and managed to put one in.

I wonder: if I'd woken up before getting the contact back in, would I be blind?

The other narrative I've been thinking about is an active god sort of thing. Somewhere between Morrison's Animal Man and Amis's  London Fields. Because a blog post inherently ties a date and a  time to things. . . my thought was, when I wasn't writing about the characters, they would just be frozen there, stuck however I left them in the narrative, but things beyond them would still be moving, shuffling about, grinding their teeth waiting for the sun to set so the shadows grew long enough to reach the people I'd been writing about.

A sort of negligent puppet master leaving his means of affordance out in the rain, as it were. I don't know if the characters would be initially aware of me/the narrator as their means of salvation or hope, but it'd give a more episodic feel to things, and add tension to spans where I can't put words down/out.

Like, they have an adventure in a forest and go to sleep in their tents, but instead of waking up the next day, I've, in this world, had a rough few days and so when I come back to the story, it's three days later, not 6 hours or whatever, and they're hungry, and probably shat themselves, and maybe a bear ate one because they weren't conscious enough to do anything.

It works in blogs because they can be daily writing, so the story and the narrative rule isn't as dangerous to the characters as, say, a monthly (or even weekly) comic book.

A twist on the multiplicative time in a cube story, maybe.